Sunday, April 2, 2017

Urban Spots sample

Hey guys!!


So, as I mentioned in my last post, I was going to start working in the layout of my cover based on the information I gather from my previous case study. Below is the sample of the cover I worked on. Before moving into discussing the design and arrangement of the elements, I must clear that fact that this is a sample, I have not yet taken the picture that will be displayed as the cover image, so I worked with some internet pictures. This sample represents what will figuratively be our next city edition after Miami: Los Angeles.  





First of all let me clarify that we changed the title of our magazine. It was mainly due to some technical difficulties we were going to face when creating the “i” of “Cities”, with a magnifying glass. We were afraid it would look odd and therefore we came up with “Urban Spots” a name we believe is going to fit more into our theme and into the broad characteristics of cities around the world. to design the cover I used the software of Canva, which I found extremely easy to use and surf through.


For the cover image I chose a picture of LA’s downtown area at night, where the city lights are being shown reflecting on the clouds. The clouds are impregnated of an orange light, which makes white the perfect color for the font in order to create contrast. Once again the font is rigid and straight, portraying a sense of formality. Just below the title, we name the city edition, so that the readers know what city is being issued on. Following our sketch, I then proceeded to locate “Top things to do…” the name of an article in my two page spread, in the left edge of the cover. And then the name of the other two articles in my two page spread, “Most visited” & “Trending Restaurant”  at the far right edge. Again, I made use of extreme language and made sure that the extreme words were colored in a different color, in order to make them stand out even more and effectively grab the reader’s attention.

SOMETHING BIG IS COMING!!! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment