Monday, April 3, 2017

Brickell City Centre

 One of the places I went to visit was Brickell City Centre. I previously went with my family in December for the first time, just one month after its inauguration, and had the opportunity of getting to know the place first before shooting for my magazine. This time I went with my mom, who drove 45 min all the way from Weston to Miami, just so I could take the picture. Thanks mom!


I got there around noon of this past Saturday. It seemed to me this was the perfect day to take picture; the sun was shining at the top of a deep blue sky, which set the perfect lighting to capture this site.   


When first entering the building, what immediately comes in sight is the larger-than-life sculpture that hangs as a ceiling. The Climate Ribbon, designed by architect Hugh Dutton is one of the largest permanent horizontal sculptures in the world, which has the purpose to shelter, shade, and cool the shopping center. Yes cooling. And it's because this sculpture aims to make the whole building, energy efficient by capturing the salty ocean breeze blowing in from the southeast and use it to cool the building in those hot Miami days. The intricate, white, abstract curves of the structure, clearly steps away from the traditional Art Deco architecture and blends into Miami’s 21st century dynamic minimalistic architecture.  But more so, The Climate Ribbon transcend art and strives to embrace and better utilize the powers of nature.     


I noticed how the architectural features of the building paired with these high-end stores, such as Giuseppe Zanotti, Stuart Weitzman and retail department store Saks Fifth Avenue, created a contrast  which helped establish a high lux environment where shoppers could spend a nice weekend afternoon.

The pictures were awesome, and everything went just as I expected.

-Viglucciaviglucci@MiamiHerald.com, Andres. "The Vice Effect: 30 years after the show that changed Miami." Miamiherald. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Apr. 2017.

-"Miami's Architectural Guide." GMCVB. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Apr. 2017.

-"TIME LAPSE." HDA Climate Ribbon. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Apr. 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment